Friday, May 2, 2008

Tornadoes

I can't say enough how much I dislike and fear tornado season in Texas! I vividly remember stirring the batter of my birthday cake when I was little in Paris, Texas giddy about having my first slumber party and my town being hit hard by a terrible tornado. Standing on my front porch (before my mother put me in a bathtub with a mattress over my head) I watched the Paris Lumber Co. get hit and catch on fire by a tornado and I will never lose that mental image!! I remember the still, green, calm sky before it hit! I remember the sound of a tornado that went over my home only two years later and took off the roof of the family that lived behind us. I woke up and truly thought I was going to be run over by a train because of the sound! All of that said because today ... I had to "take cover" with Kate in the laundry room while a rotation was above our heads ... it hit east of Tyler and west of Tyler and it was a terrible 40 minutes waiting to see if it would hit us as it passed ... I guess I have done this many times before but today was different because it was calm and green outside ... brought back too many memories! I knew the boys were safe in the basement of their school and hubby was evacuating patients from their rooms to the middle of the hospital (why did he have to be on call during a tornado warning???) and I felt so completely responsible for little Kate! I sat in the laundry room and she loved it ... my undivided attention! Looking back now, I should have gotten some laundry done while I was worrying! I am going tomorrow to get a new weather radio ... and to update my Thundercall. Here's to sunny skies ...

2 comments:

Kthed said...

I'm a freak about stormy weather b/c it's so unpredictable... Amen to sunny skies!

Kalen said...

Isn't this a crazy spring for us?! I didn't know you had such close encounters with tornados before. Margo made us watch Tornado Diaries (on PBS) last night! Oh, these storm watchers (or worriers). :)