Sunday, August 24, 2008

Nine Years Old

I cannot believe it! My firstborn, my baby, the one I rocked many hours to sleep, the one I worried the most over, the one who has a place so deep in my heart words cannot do it justice, the one I labored the longest with (let's not get into the three, yes three, times I got sent home from the hospital to wait a little longer) ... he is nine today! Everyone says time flies by and I can confirm that boldly today!! His new shoes are my size, he tells jokes that really make me laugh (without that fake-laugh-sound), he has the largest two front teeth that could possibly fit in that smile, he loves his friends and still adores his family and grandparents. Caleb ... you live up to your namesake as a faithful servant to God!! I love you!
We had an army party to celebrate ... each kid got a camo bandana, camo face paint, and dog tags. Then, they went with General Glenney (hubby) to build their forts (40 boxes, camo paint colors and duct tape).
After the building of the forts, my plan was eating hot dogs and then having a "war" with the forts. We had prepared water guns and over 200 water grenades (balloons) for the battle. This would be messy but I never imagined this before the forts could even be completed ...

It poured for 15 minutes and not just a little but POURED! I feared we had a ruined party on our hands because the forts no longer existed. Instead, we had the party that will always be remembered ... wet, muddy, grassy, wet, humid, wet ... did I mention that it poured on those kids?!? They ran, played, threw water balloons, squirted every ounce of water possible on each other with water guns and well, had a blast!! Then, the sun came back out!! It was surpisingly a lot of fun with the added rain.

The little cadets...
and of course, the cake ...

Happy Birthday, Caleb!



5 comments:

Kalen said...

Oh my goodness. I am almost speechless as I think back over the last NINE years of kids. Caleb is looking like such a boy, a handsome Glenney boy. Happy Birthday! The army party looks perfect. What a crew you've got there. And you with those cakes!! Love from the West.

Christa Hagler said...

How Fun! Happy Birthday Caleb. That theme actually does work in the rain, it probably just added to the excitement.

Stacey said...

Ooooh, what crazy, wet and muddy fun! Doesn't get much better for a party like this! (Or heck, anybody would love to play in the rain!)
Birthday blessings to Caleb! Our kiddos are getting too big, Shan. Those pictures of our first playdates together when our babies were 9 months old or so still seem like yesterday! ~much love from the foster's

Kthed said...

Ok... I am nominating you for the "MOTHER OF THE YEAR" award!! How much fun! You rock!

Liz said...

That sounds like such a COOL boy party!!! My son would LOVE it!